Monday, May 10, 2010

Lock It Out

When it comes to life you either get it or you don't and if you get it than your life will change for the best and if you don't your life will suffer. Life is a huge chess game were every move counts, except in life you can't afford to lose. So it all comes down to figuring out where you are in life and how to get where you want to go. If you are content with your life then you just don't get it. You should always be looking to improve because that is what makes life fun. Figure out your imperfections and conquer them everyday.

Weight lifting is no different. You should always be trying to better your lifts whether it is for sport or for profession. Today I am going to go over a few exercise that has helped to take my deadlift from 455lbs to 585lbs in just one year.

In a deadlift you either are strong at lockout or you are fast at the start. Speed or Strength, it is up to you to figure it out. I have always been weak at my lock out and the best exercises I have found for this is Farmer Deadlifts, Deadlifts w/ Bands, Rack Pulls, GHR, and Good Mornings. These have all helped tremdousoly with my deadlift. I am going to focus on two for right now and will break down the other ones at a later date.

Farmer deadlifts are pretty plain and simple you will have a high pull that mimics a deadlift, so all the focus will be on popping your hips through. Remember to treat it like a regular deadlift. You will have your shoulder blades pinch tight, chest up, and griping the bar as tight as possible. Take a deep breath through your diaphragm and drive through your heels. Once the lift starts to go up remember to spread the floor with your feet and drive your knees out. Here is a video of what I am talking about.


The next exercise that has been a tremendous tool for my lockout has been the GHR. This is the only posterior chain machine that allows you to work the gastrocnemius, hamstrings, and glutes all in one movement. Doing this every lower body work out has brought my deadlift up and there is no end in sight. I will go high rep range one day a week and add band or weights and lower my reps to 10-12 reps on the other day here is a video of band glute ham rasies.

No comments:

Post a Comment