Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Guest Post

It has been some time since my last post, I have been busy with football season ending and finals for myself. I am back to posting regularly and I have a bunch of good stuff coming up in the near future. Here is a guest post from Mike Montgomery. He is an endurance athlete who competes in 5ks, road races, triathlons, and just completed a 1/2 Ironman.

Can’t never Could


As endurance sport athletes, for most of us, our goal is to just finish. The events that we choose to do are usually just as mentally tough as they are physically and finishing is just as important as winning is to a normal athlete. I use the term “normal athlete” because there is nothing normal about us!


The one thing that I always hear when talking to people about endurance sports is negativity. “You can’t do that”, or “you can’t finish”, or my all time favorite, “you can’t win”. Most of the time those comments are coming from people that also “CAN’T.” They can’t get off their butts. They can’t handle failure. They can’t attempt the seemingly impossible. They can’t do what I can do. And most importantly they can’t believe!


If there’s something in life you want to do, you can do it. Don’t let anybody tell you any different. The only thing stopping you is you. Pick something that you don’t think you can finish and go for it! If you’ve never ran, run a 5k. Scared to swim? Do a triathlon. If that sounds easy do something bigger. But whatever you do, do it to finish and the feeling you get when you cross that finish line will be like nothing you’ve ever felt before. I promise you!


I recently completed a half-ironman triathlon and when it was over and everyone asked how i did i simply told them, “I finished.” In endurance sports finishing is winning and if you don’t believe it, try it!

1 comment:

  1. Playing a little catch up and I LOVED this post. Thanks Michael for putting it together, thanks Tony for sharing it. It is EXACTLY what I needed as I march towards my very first ever 1/2 marathon the end of January. My only goal is to finish...and now I feel a little more excited about it. Thanks again and here's to hoping 2010 let's me come back and play with the Samson Gang a little....

    ReplyDelete