Sunday, April 11, 2010

Fear: Overcome and Conquer


Fear is a very debilitating emotion; it will stop you in your tracks if you let it. Fear is an unpleasant often strong emotion caused by anticipation or awareness of danger. To conquer is to overcome by mental or moral power. If you are familiar with my blog then you know that the brain is by far the most powerful thing in your body. Your brain controls the emotion of fear and you can control how your brain thinks, by doing things to override it. This post is about controlling your brain and conquering fear.

Fear can come in many shapes and sizes and is often associated with things such as snakes, water, spiders, and confined areas. But for me my biggest fear was people, not people in general, but talking to them. Throughout my life I have always been a very shy and self conscious person. I was always a little chubby and was never comfortable going up to people and striking up a conversation. I have always had this problem, but I realized that if I wanted to be successful in personal training I had to conquer my fear. When I train people, I have to be social and I have to be somewhat interesting and humorous. So you can see were my fear of talking to people could hinder me from my job and my future. Now everybody’s fear will be different but I guarantee you that if do what I did then you will be on your way to kicking fear’s ass. I figured it out one day at the park playing with my daughter, we were running around having a good time by ourselves and then people started showing up and I felt embarrassed for a brief second because I was running around and acting crazy with my daughter. I stopped what I was doing and proceeded to do what I had always done and that was to hide. I picked a nice bench far away from everybody else and started walking that way. My little girl grabbed me by the arm and said “Come play with me daddy.” As I looked in her eyes I thought to myself why do I care what other people think of me and what difference does it make if they talk about me or how I act, look, or carry myself. All I care about is playing with my daughter and having a good time. From that time until the present, I have giving up worrying about other people and how they felt towards me. This was a huge step in my journey to becoming free from fear. Look deep inside yourself and figure out what is that thing that is holding on to your fear and holding you back from your dreams. It will be hard and you will have to leave your ego at the door, but if you find this poison inside your body and conquer it then you will be free.

It does not stop there because it will continuously try to creep back in and you have to always be one step ahead. There will be certain practices that you will find to be helpful. For me I have found that visualization is the key to my success. I see myself retired by the age of 45 so I know in order to do that I have to get out in the community and try to tell everyone about my gym and the services we provide. This means going up to random people and talking to them about health and fitness and my gym. My partner and I are holding ourselves accountable for meeting one new person a day or we owe each other money. Now if you have ever met my wife then you know I can’t be losing money or else I will be on the couch for a very long time. This is a great strategy that will continue to help me conquer my fear on a daily basis. So the next step to conquering your fear is to visualize where you want to be and try to do something to were you can overcome it often.

The last step is an easy one to me. It is to ask for help and the person I ask all the time is God. There are many scripture’s that come to mind about fear, but the two that have meant the most to me are
Matthew 10:28
And do not fear those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. But rather fear Him who is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.
Deuteronomy 31:6
Be strong and of good courage, do not fear nor be afraid of them; for the LORD your God, He is the One who goes with you. He will not leave you nor forsake you.

I have found that each time my fear tries to creep back; these set it in its place. I hope this will help you in conquering your fears, I know it has helped me. Take care and stay strong.

1 comment: