Sunday, September 27, 2009

Deadlift Technique

I have been getting a lot of questions lately about increasing your deadlift. The first thing I would tell you is to practice your technique. After my next contest I will go on a three week hypertrophy/technique phase of training. If done properly it will give you the most increase in your deadlift. There are a lot of common mistakes when doing a conventional deadlift that we will dispel right now.
1) Jerking the weight up. This will put you in a bad position and will have you start your lift off with a rounded back.
2) Not getting air the correct way. You are supposed to expand your abs and tighten them, not expand your chest.
3) Pull the bar straight up. I see a lot of people fully extend their legs before the bar ever leaves the ground this is a clear sign of weak legs.
Those are the three most common mistakes; here are some things to fix that.
1) You want to pull the tension out of the bar before lifting it.
2) When getting air your stomach should expand not your chest.
3) Pull the bar back and drive your heels into the floor and try to pull through the floor.
Here is a quick tutorial on what I am talking about. I hope you can learn something to help you perform better. Feel free to ask any questions and post some comments.

2 comments:

  1. Tony thankyou very much for taking the time to post this article it is very helpful to me. I really like the instruction on pulling back. Tony what in your opion is a decent deadlift # with good form. Also tony anymore helpful hints on deadlifting on a 2 inch appolon axle bar, Grip plays a major role in this but tell me what you think. Tony once again great instruction veryhelp much appreciated i know your busy and thanks for taking the time to do this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is really the same as a regular deadlift. You just need to bring your grip strength up. I would throw in two grip workouts a week and never use srtaps or gloves. Hopes this helps.

    ReplyDelete