Saturday, October 17, 2009

Develop your Weaknesses

About a few years back when I was playing football I always had a problem with hamstring pulls. No matter what I was doing my hamstring was bound to pull. First it was the left, after it healed then it was the right. I knew something was wrong and it was time to reevaluate my training. So instead of doing Olympic squats I started doing box squats. I pulled the sled in an upright position and drilled my heels into the ground. The most effective thing I did was buy a Glute Ham Raise from Elite and used it religiously. Now it is a major part of our program. We use it with just bodyweight or we add weight to either the front of our chest or the back of our neck. The movement I really love to do on it is to add some bands to the bottom loops and knock out 4 sets of 10-15 reps. Since using this piece of equipment my squat and deadlift have increased dramatically and I have not had any hamstring problems in years. Here is a quick video to show you how to perform this exercise. Notice how the chin stays tucked the whole time. This is very important to making sure that this stays a glute ham raise and not a back extension into a glute ham raise.

No comments:

Post a Comment