Thursday, October 8, 2009

Strongman=Explosive Power

A lot of coaches like to have there guys do olympic lifts to build explosive power, such as the snatch and power clean. Now I am not saying that these are useless in a program, but I am saying it is not the most pratical lift to have your athletes do to develop explosive power. As a strength coach you always have to weigh the pros and cons of the lift and being that these lifts are an olympic sport in themselves and you have twenty to thirty guys training at once, so you really can not check everyone's form. The risk of injury do to incorrect form is great in this instance. All these movements are, is triple extension movements. Now if you could substitute those movements for a safer and more efficient one than why would you not. For explosive movemnt we have our athletes perform triple extension movements such as plyometrics, tire flips, and atlas stones. Here is one of our athletes performing box jumps followed up by some atlas stone lifts. Take a look at his box jumps and tell me that he is not explosive and he has not performed an olympic lift since he has been here.



Post comments and let me know what you think.

2 comments:

  1. great video tony that man is explosive. Great stuff. Tony those boxes are homemade great idea any special insight on how i can build some myself or what measurements you use thanks for all your great info on this blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. To be honest my cousin built them for me, but I can measure them and let you know the dimensions.

    ReplyDelete