Wednesday, January 6, 2010

225 Bench Test

We had some college kids down training for the holidays and they kept asking me how can I increase my reps on the bench test for the combine. Here are a few of the points I gave them.

1. Get Stronger- If you can increase your 1RM on your bench, than the 225 should feel lighter and lighter every time. You have to increase your back strength as well to help support your bench. A 405 bench presser will get more reps on the test than a guy who can lift 315.

2. Incorporate an Upper Body Rep Day- If you do not put your body through the practice of repping higher numbers than your body will not be used to the lactic acid build up and your reps will always fall short. When doing these higher reps your are building your lactic threshold so you can keep repping it out. When your body accumulates to much lactate your muscles cannot contract as forcefully, because your body can not use the same amount of motor units as it did in the beginning of your exercise.

3. Hold Your Breathe- Depending on your strength this will vary. I have a 425 bench so I hold my breathe for the first 10 reps and than re-breathe for 8 more reps and than 5 reps. Once I hit this mark I will drop down to two reps and than one at a time until I am done. This will help insure that your body stays tight through out the bench.

No comments:

Post a Comment