Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Mindset

As my next strongman show approaches, it gets me thinking about what it takes to be the best, to climb to the top of the mountain. I start to focus on everything I have to do to win the show. I visualize all the weights going up easy and I see myself with the first place trophy. I think about this all day and all night. I can't loose because I have already seen myself winning in my head.

I used to never think like this, I would always settle for giving it my best and if I did not win then oh well. Maybe that is why I was never motivated as a kid to achieve my genetic potential. About three years ago I came across the best book ever written and it change the way I approach everything in life. The book was called Romo: My Life on the Edge--Living Dreams and Slaying Dragons. This is the story of Bill Romanowski a linebacker in the NFL and one of the most intense guys you will ever see on the field. He is still by far my favorite player to have ever played the game, his desire and intensity was unmatched.

I remember reading his book and he would talk about the mindset he would get in on game week. He would envision every play that he was going to make and he made himself hate the other players on the other team. He would talk about having so much hate that he would wake up at night with sweats, he could not contain himself and it showed on the field as a destructive presence to his opponents.

Not to get too off topic here, but here was a man who won 4 Super Bowls and made it to 2 pro bowls and started in 243 consecutive games. Do you think this was achieved by just settling or not be focused? This man prepared his mind more than anything else and he was very successful.

The point of this post is if your mindset is not were it needs to be then your performance will falter. You mind is the most powerful thing a human being posses and it can make you achieve things you never thought to be possible. If you get your mind in the right place the body will follow. Ask any successful person in life what type of mentality does it take to be on top and they will tell the exact same thing I just told you.

Do you have what it takes? Look deep inside of yourself and find. Reach the impossible and do stuff that you were told you can never do. It is time to start shutting people up!

No comments:

Post a Comment