Thursday, March 18, 2010

Walking the Walk


Right now I am a student at FAU in Boca Raton, Fl. and like all students I want to get in and get out as fast as possible. I am not your typical college kid who is fresh out of high school. I went into the marines for four years and served in Iraq and studied my ass off to learn everything I could about training and how the body works. The problem I am having with this so called education system and the trainers it produces is some of the stuff I hear come out of these professors and trainers mouth’s who have never touched a weight in their life and are telling everyone how they should be training just because they have a piece of paper that says they are qualified. Yet you are more likely to see them at McDonald's then in the weight room. We were having a discussion in class this past week and a kid ask “what is the best way to gain strength” and the overweight professor said “to lift 6-8 reps at 90% of your 1 rep max.” Now if you believe that this is possible than you should not be reading this blog. I told her that that was impossible and gave a simple example if a guy has a 100 pound 1 rep max on bench he could not rep out 90 pounds 6-8 times and her rebuttal was “well that’s how I used to train my athletes.” Man that drives me crazy. There are so many trainers and coaches out there that can't do what they tell there players to do yet they still make them do it and have no explanation for it. So the next time you are being trained ask yourself “Can my trainer do this?” and if the answer is no then run out the gym door as fast as possible and find someone who can. You want results and the only to get those is to find someone who has already achieved them. Quit wasting your time and look for the best.

Sorry, I had to get this off of my chest. If anybody out there feels the same way drop a comment or if you completely disagrees drop a comment, I would love to hear what you have to say about the subject.

P.S. I am almost done with the Samson S&C eBook on how to train athletes and achieve ridiculous results!!

3 comments:

  1. I think I know EXACTLY what professor you are talking about. lol. That is exactly what I have learned ever since I have gotten out of the classroom and into the real world at IHP, the detailed crap that we are tested on in school really doesnt mean crap...And trying to learn and actually believe the stuff some of these professors tell us is rediculous. Unless your out there and working hard with people and athletes hands on and are successfull with it, you should NOT be teaching it to others. Looks like things are going great Tony, hopefully i will see you guys soon! :)
    -jenn n.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am with you on all of it..There are so many people out there that think they know it all. Most of them do not have a clue..you can get that little piece of paper saying your a personal trainer but you have to walk the walk..And work your ass off before you tell someone what to do. some are just muscle heads with no clue..Samson S&C, crossfit are great teachers of fitness..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yea dude I was in a nutrition class and my professor was way overweight. At the time I was trying to gain good clean weight and I was taking in 6 meals a day, and they were good meals. We had to do a diet plan of what we ate on a daily basis and turn it in. She gives me a C and says theres no way that I could take in that much food, and that my meals were not healthy meals. The very next day she pulls out a old chocolate donut out of her purse and says "Oh I forgot about that." I know exactly where your coming from brother!!!

    ReplyDelete