Monday, June 4, 2012

Team Lean Machine Weekly Blog Post


Quick Hits

Abdominal fat increases by 300 percent between age 25 and 65- while muscle mass decreases by 20 percent between age 40 and 60. Increased abdominal fat promotes inflammation and impairs blood sugar regulation- both of which increase the risk of heart disease and type 2 diabetes. A review of literature by Harvard University researchers concluded that weight training reduces abdominal fat and inflammation and increase muscle mass. Weight training does not burn as man calories as aerobics. However, muscle mass is an important measure of blood sugar control. Weight training is a critical exercise for middle-aged and older adults because it preserves muscle mass, prevents abdominal fat accumulation, decreases inflammation and promotes blood sugar control. (Obesity Reviews, published online March 2, 2012.)



A Duke University study found that men with heart disease had a 38 percent greater risk of prostate cancer. Obesity, physical inactivity, and poor diet promote cancer and heart disease, so an unhealthy lifestyle might be the common link between diseases Men with both diseases were older, heavier, less healthy and had higher levels of PSA- an important marker of prostate enlargement. Prostate cancer is the second leading cancer related cause of death in men accounting for 34,000 deaths in the United States each year. (ScienceDaily, February 8, 2012.)



Tony’s Recipe of the Week

As you all know I am prepping for a Body Building show in August and I will say the absolute hardest thing to do is to make my food taste good and edible but I have found a way that works for me and I can actually look forward to eating my food instead of dreading it. So what I will do for you is give you my extreme bodybuilding food and how I prepare it, and then I will give you a normal healthier version. My diet is a High Protein, Moderate Fats, and Low Carbs. My bodyweight is 223lbs right now.

First up is Breakfast:

Tomorrow Morning I will wake up at 5:00 a.m. go do 30minutes of cardio on an empty stomach and then come home and eat around 6:30 a.m.

5 Whole Eggs, 4 Egg Whites, and 1 English Muffin made by Ezekial Bread

I whisk the eggs together then I’ll add Mrs. Dash’s Southwest Chipotle Blend to give it a little kick with a touch of salt, pepper, and garlic. I will mix it all up and wait for the pan to heat up, I spray the pan with zero calorie Pam spray. Once hot I put the mix in and add some spinach to it.

For the Muffin I will toast it and then add Walden Farms ZERO Calorie Apple Butter Spread to one and Raspberry Spread to the other.  There you have it nice and simple J



Healthy Breakfast: (Remember that you may need to change up the portions to fit your bodyweight and goals)

4 Egg Whites, 2 ounces of Hickory Smoked Turkey, 1 cup of Spinach

1 Slice of Cinnamon Raison Ezekial Bread w/ ½ a Tablespoon of Smart Balance Peanut Butter

Do the eggs the exact same and add any ZERO calorie ingredients you want to it, I prefer Mrs. Dash.

Pour the eggs into a hot pan and add the spinach and tear up the Turkey into little pieces and throw it on there. Hint if you want your eggs to be a little fluffier add ½ a cup of water to the mix before pouring it into a pan.

Toast the bread and slab the PB on it and you have yourself a healthy and tasty breakfast!!!

Protein= 33grams= 132 Calories

Carbs= 20grams= 80 Calories

Fats= 8grams= 72 Calories

Calories= 284 Calories



Morning....



Here is a really good and healthy recipe for Chicken Salad, it is something that is really good to make during the summer.  It is great for sandwiches and also good on a salad.





Chicken Salad







10 oz boneless , skinless chicken breast



3 oz low-fat mayo



1 1/2 tablespoon Dijon mustard



1/3 cup diced green onions



1/2 teaspoon black pepper



1/2 teaspoon fresh dill



3/4 cup  diced celery







Cook chicken; cool and dice.  Gently combine the chicken with the remaining ingredients , chill until ready to serve.

  Serving size, approx 1/2 cup


*Per Serving



517 Calories



16 g Total Fat



(26 g from fat)



59 g Protein



38 g Carbs



132 mg Cholesterol


544 mg Sodium

4 comments:

  1. I’m impressed, I must say. Really rarely do I encounter a blog that’s both educative and entertaining, and let me tell you, you have hit the nail on the head. Your idea is outstanding; the issue is something that not enough people are speaking intelligently about. I am very happy that I stumbled across this in my search for something relating to this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Halodrol is good for improved vascularity, dry gains with only a small to no amount of water retention.Halodrol is one of the latest Sports Supplements available today.
    Halodrol

    ReplyDelete
  3. In the last two decades, prohormones have also been used by bodybuilders, athletes, and nonmedical users of anabolic steroids and other hormones to refer to substances that are expected to convert to active hormones in the body.
    Halodrol Reviews

    ReplyDelete