Thursday, November 4, 2010

2010 Central Florida Strongman Show


This was the first time I did this show, I heard a lot of great things about it and it did not disappoint. The show was in the heart of Lakeland and right by the water, it was a great location. I competed in the middleweight division of 265lbs and under. I weighed in at 230lbs and was by far the smallest competitor in my weight class. Usually my class is from 231 and down but this show they switched things up on me.

First event was a press medley that consisted of a 220lbs log for one rep, a 250lbs log for one rep and a 270lbs axle for one rep. Throughout training I was killing this event with a great time. As for the show that was a different story. The logs went up easy, even Weech’s 13” mammoth log. Then I moved onto the axle and this is what slowed me down. I was not able to punch my elbows through on the first and second attempt but I managed to do so, on the third. I finished this event in 38.64 secs and good enough for 2nd.

The next event was a last man standing axle deadlift. My deads have come a long way from when I started so I was fairly confident in this event. That is until I realized I have the hand size of an adolescent girl and that my grip would be a problem. The axle bar is 2” in diameter which really taxes the grip. The middleweights started off with 450lbs and moved up 25lbs each time. 450lbs was no problem and neither was 475lbs. The thing I noticed when doing this event is that my speed is off the ground is not up to par with the rest of my deadlift, so I need to work on that. Everything felt good and smooth until I got up to 550lbs. The daedlift was light and felt smooth and I thought I locked it out, but it slipped out of my left hand twice and I was done in this event with a 525lbs deadlift, which was good enough for second.

The 3rd event was a Yoke/Keg Medley. We had to walk a 625lbs yoke for 60’ and carry a 275lbs keg for 60’. This was a good event for me because I fly with the yoke but I never touched a keg until a week from the show so I was a little worried about my technique. The yoke was easy and light but when I got to the keg I did not lean back enough and it fell forward on me, so I had to repack it and finish up. I finished this event in 28.94 secs and good enough for 2nd again.

The next event was farmer carries for 100’. Usually I never loose at these but my grip was already shot and that made for an extremely difficult time. I had three drops and just absolutely sucked at this event. I finished it in 32.91 secs and again 2nd place.

On to our last event which was a stone series. We had to load 4 stones onto a platform of different heights. The first stone was 240lbs onto a 60” platform, 280lbs onto a 54” platform, 325lbs onto a 48” platform and a 355lbs onto a 48” platform. Going into this event I was in 2nd place behind the leader by one point so I needed to be flawless at this event. Much like the theme of the day I made some mistakes. I let the tacky get to soupy and as soon as I went for the first stone it was gone and I did not set the stones the way I wanted either so by the time I got to the third stone I was slipping all over it. I finished just two stones in a time of 15.98 secs and 2nd place. By staying consistent on every event I was able to get 1st place in the show. I was not happy with my performance, but 1st place is 1st place. Here is a video of the show enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment