Tuesday, November 9, 2010

2010 Training Box Strongman Show Tony Montgomery Middleweight Champ

2010 Training Box Strongman Show
I have said it before and I will say it again. If Dave Beers puts on a show I am there. He runs a tight ship and always takes care of his competitors. All the guys from the gym had a great time and we look forward to doing his next show in March. Now onto the show, I competed in the middleweight division and I was going against 4 other competitors.

The first event was a 220lbs axle clean & press for reps in 60secs. I went first and I knew I had to set the tone due to my competition. On the go command I ripped up the axle and started pressing away. After the clean I knew I was going to be able to put up a high number. As I started repping them out I was finding it harder and harder to catch my breathe. By the time I was on 12 I only had one to two more left in me. I managed one more and I was done. 13 reps was good enough for first place.

The 2nd event we moved onto a 450lbs trap bar for reps in 60secs. I got to go last because of my first place finish and I knew what I had to beat. My buddy Paul knocked out 33 reps and second got 22 reps. I figured I would go after Paul’s 33 but around 25 reps into it I thought twice about it. Our next event was going to tax the grip so I decided to shut it down at 27 reps, which was good for 2nd place.

The next event was a 250lbs farmers pick hold for time. I was able to go one on one with Paul and I knew his hands were hurting from the deadlifts so this would be a good event for me. On the go command I was able to get a clean and easy pick which set up for a good hold. We were about 40secs into it and I decided to look up to see what Paul was doing and I could see him start to struggle, so I gave him a smile and he blew me a kiss and that was it for him. I managed a few more seconds and dropped the weight at 50.83secs and finished in 2nd place.

The 4th event was a 750lbs tire flip for 60’. I did this at Dave’s last show, so I knew the weight would be light and it was going to be a sprint to the finish. Everyone was taking between 6-7 flips to cross. The more you attack the tire and push it over the further it will skid, so you could cut down on the times you flip it. My goal was to be aggressive and attack the tire and it turned out to be a good strategy. I finished in 6 flips and around 20secs which was good for 2nd place.

I was in the lead by a ½ point going into the final event which was a 260lbs stone load for reps on a flat bed truck in 60secs. I am really good at stones and I was confident going into this event. Going last again I knew I had to beat 8 reps for the win. As soon as you hear the go command you attack the stone and not even think about it. I was moving at a good pace and by the time I got to 7 reps I started to slow it down and I finished with 10 reps and 1st place in the event and 1st place in the show.

Here is the video:

No comments:

Post a Comment