Tuesday, November 9, 2010

2010 North American Open Powerlifting Meet: Team Samson Recap

2010 North American Open Powerlifting Meet Recap
Tony Montgomery

The meet started at 10:00 on Sunday so I had a week to cut from 235lbs to 220lbs. I never cut that much weight before so I knew it was going to be tough. By Friday I was 224lbs and was ready to drive up to Tampa on Sat. and make weight. We arrived at 1:30 and I figured we can weigh in and be fine since we did not eat or drink all day. Boy was I wrong, I weighed in at 223 in Tampa and I was pissed, its time for a new scale at the gym. So after two hours of sauna and running in trash bags I finally made weight. By Sunday I was back up to 235lbs and I was ready to lift.

Squats were up first and I was near the back of the flight so I had time to relax. Decided to open up light with 420lbs and for some reason it felt extremely heavy, but I nailed it a got three green lights. Next I jumped up to 450lbs and blasted right through it, so I guess my body decided to finally wake up. Feeling good going into my last lift I decided to go with a 30lbs meet PR and blasted through a 475lbs squat and felt really good. I will be shooting over 500lbs next meet.

Onto bench press, which if you are not careful can put you to sleep. I decided to open up with what I ended with last meet 355lbs. It was real easy and I felt good but apparently my butt came up and I was red lighted. So I was nervous going into my next lift and I stuck with the same weight so I can get it and I did with absolutely no leg drive and it still felt easy. For my third attempt I jumped up to 375 lbs, but I was still nervous about my butt coming up and I got stuck at the bottom and with no leg drive I wasn’t going anywhere.

Last but not least are deadlifts, which are by far the best lift ever invented. I was feeling good to pull my first ever 600lbs dead, so I opened up at 550lbs. The warm ups went great and everything felt extremely fast. I got up to the platform and blasted through 550lbs with ease. Feeling good about getting 600 I jumped to 575lbs and I got it for a 25lbs meet PR. I thought I nailed it but looking back at the video I realized it was more of a struggle then I thought it was. So onto my 600lbs attempt, I felt very confident that today was the day, but gravity felt otherwise and I stalled right below my knees on the 600lbs attempt. It actually felt like it got caught on my sock which was weird. Next time I will get it and then some.

I ended with a 1405lbs total which is a 60lbs meet PR which is a great day in retrospect. I would like to thank my wife and kids for there support and my team for all their encouragement and most importantly I thank God for granting me the ability to do what I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment