Saturday, August 29, 2009

Sport Specific Conditioning

Football season is fast approaching, so it got me thinking. How the high school football teams are training these days? I took a drive down to my old school and sat in on a conditioning practice. I was absolutely blown away at the drills they were and were not doing. At the beginning of practice the coaches had the kids do a 1 mile timed run. After practice is done they performed 300yd shuttles. In the game of football most plays last on average 4 to 6 seconds, so why have your players do monotonous distance training for a sport that lasts 4 to 6 seconds. The best conditioning drills for football is playing the actual game. Having your players run routes or doing specific drills geared for football. I have my athletes in the offseason run tempo runs and 6 to 10 second prowler pushes with 25 second rest to mimic the game clock. Here is another conditioning drill that I performed at Defrancos Gym with his NFL crew.


The sprint only last 4 to 5 seconds with about 30 seconds rest in between. We did about ten of these for conditioning. Now if guys in the NFL are doing these types of drills why do high school coaches think it is best to do 1 mile timed test to condition. Because they did it in school so it must be right. Do your research and help improve your player’s performance not hinder it.

No comments:

Post a Comment