Saturday, August 27, 2011

Chandler Marchman Interview for Samson’s S&C


Q: Tell the readers a little bit about your background.

I am a former baseball player that fell out of love with baseball and IN LOVE with myself!!! Just kidding…I was a baseball guy, but my shortcoming in the talent department led to my irrelevance in the sport! Part of that I attributed to my lack of proper strength and conditioning when I was active in the sport. Because I didn’t want any promising athlete to have accessibility to good training to be his limiting factor, I went to the University of Florida to study Exercise Physiology and educate myself on the finer points of developing a power athlete.

It’s a longer story than that, but that’s the abbreviated G-Rated version of it…I’ll spare you the other details!

Q: You own a Gym in Tampa called Elite S/C or the Man Cave. What kind of training do you guys do their? What kind of clientele do you cater to?

On paper…it’s Elite S/C…in the hearts of all of my SWOLEdiers…it’s the MAN Cave!

We implement a version of the conjugate method called the Elite Method for the Meat Headed. It’s got its roots in the Westside method and has been producing some great results for myself and all of my SWOLEdiers.



Given the fact that my program focuses on getting you strong, jacked, ripped, explosive, and hella conditioned, football players and dudes that want to try something different while training in a fun and challenging environment. I gotta be honest though, even our athletes have the tendency to focus on aesthetics as their chief motivator though. Gotta impress the ladies, right?

Q: Most of my readers are women trying to burn off fat, would you train them any differently, than your male athletes or do you keep you main philosophy the same? What if they say they don’t want to get bulky or look like a man, what would you tell them?

Absolutely not! This is one of the most frustrating myths in the fitness industry. And its been manifested by all of these magazines that are put out on newsstands that demonize weight training based on their uneducated hippie gurus. “Don’t lift weights…that’ll make you big. Do yoga so that you’ll lengthen your muscles”. You mean to tell me by holding some goofy and ridiculous pose you’ll actually be able to bypass your genetic makeup and look like that cover model? I think it’s funny they never show the chubby vegetable loving yoga instructor in those pics. Wonder why?

So how do I deal with women? I get them to do the same program that all of my men do. I will cater it to their abilities, but ultimately that has absolutely nothing to do with the fact they are women and everything to do with their training level.

If they say they don’t want to get bulky I calmly explain to them that they lack the genetic makeup to become as big as men do and that given our training protocol they could expect accelerated results that they would not get doing anything else.

If they still don’t conform to my methods, they get referred out to someone else that is willing to train them. Ultimately, I have a no compromise rule, and I won’t break it for ANYBODY!!!

Q: Your Brick Shit House Training are designed to burn fat and add lean muscle, what does it consist of and how often do you program it in?

We program them in the middle of our week (once per week) as a way to, like you said, build and/or maintain muscle while burning fat. It’s a great way to really jack up the resting metabolic rate and is definitely more entertaining than regular “cardio”. The way we do it is in a circuit format that utilizes both bodyweight and strongman movements.



Q: In your quest to stay lean and strong how important is diet to you and could you give a breakdown of what a day looks like for you diet wise?

Diet is extremely important! I always tell people that what you do OUTSIDE of the gym will either maximize or minimize the results you get from the work you do INSIDE the gym.

I’m someone that has grown up with a great appreciation for food though, so I’m a big proponent of the fact that in order for you to have success with a sound nutrition plan, you need to make it a realistic approach.

For me, I eat well rounded meals throughout the day (every 3-4 hours). I say well rounded because I feel that balance is what’s missing in so many peoples diet today. I make sure I have a lean source of protein, a good source of fiber (fruit or veggie) and a more energy sustaining high fiber carbohydrate with each meal. The simple principle I follow is that I eat for what I’m preparing to do in the next 3 hours. If I know I’ve got an intense workout in the next 3 hours, I’ll make sure that I have a meal that has a bit more carbohydrates than in any other meal in the day. After that training, I’ll make sure I taper down the amount of carbohydrates. Simple as that.




Q: We have a 5:30am boot camp and a lot of my clients need a boost of energy in the morning, can you give them details on your energy protein shake I’ve seen you talk about?

I’m not a huge supplement fan, so I refuse to drink any energy drink or pre-workout drink. That said, I do see the value of pre-workout nutrition, so I started making the “Blue Collar Pre-Workout Drink”…Coffee, protein powder, honey and splenda…It’s delicious, it’s cheap, and it works!!!



Q: What is the key ingredient to getting lean and staying lean? The number one thing that your client must do to achieve the body they want?

It’s not one thing…it’s a multitude of things. You need to train right, eat right and sleep right on a consistent basis. If I HAD to define one thing though…training intensity. If you don’t have that one element, don’t expect any results that will turn heads…

Q: What is the best type of cardio and style of workout to lose fat and put on lean muscle?

Without a doubt it’s circuit training that utilize compound exercises. Quit the elliptical and the distance runs!!!

Q: Does Zebra Striped pants count as equipped lifting or is it just the awesomeness of them that give you extra strength?

100% equipped. Nobody wants to fail wearing those bad boys! So the fear of failure and the harnessing of their awesomeness goes a long way to give you artificial enhancement on whatever lift you are attempting.

Q: What is your definition of an American and why are we as a society so feminized these days?

An American is an individual who lives up to the ideals and principles of which this great nation was founded on. That includes pride, self respect, dignity, honesty, work ethic and a vision for a better future in which you apply all of these principles.

Our society has become feminized to a large extent because we have been conditioned to feel like that is what is acceptable these days...Men aren’t supposed to be soft spoken pacifist who are equally as unable to speak their mind freely as they are to pick up heavy objects. We were meant to have a backbone, speak our mind, and be the strong minded and strong bodied creatures that get everything from life. Not the weaklings that sit on the sidelines and watch hopelessly as our dreams pass us by. What we need is more people to stand up and declare that our dwindling state of MANhood is unacceptable. We need leaders to take action and man the front line!

Q: When filming your Swole Sister’s series was it awkward spotting Julius for squats?

There is nothing more uncomfortable than spotting a huge gorilla like Julius from behind.


Q: Why do the Gators suck so much and the Seminoles are so much better? Any thoughts?

I’m not sure. Drew Weatherford just became a member of the MAN Cave…perhaps I can ask him (Sorry Drew…had to)

In all seriousness though, it’s about time FSU became relevant again. It took a lot of fun out of the rivalry when Florida was beating them so badly.


Q: You have an eBook coming out could you give our readers a little more detail on both of those? Where can my readers go to find out more about you and your gym?

Well, currently I’m just using my membership site to act as a living-breathing version of my eBook. It was just launched on August 21st and is doing quite well. Because there has been a lot of interest in the training system I have developed, The Elite Method for the Meat Headed, I had to create a way for people to see not only what we do on a daily basis at the MAN Cave, but adequate substitutes for implements they likely do not have and instructional videos that outline proper form for each lift.

Here’s the link in case you wanted to join the revolution!!!

http://www.marchmanstrength.com/team-swole-patrol.html

That said, I WILL be developing and launching the Elite Method for the Meat Headed soon enough. So stay tuned!!!

(YouTube) http://www.youtube.com/goEliteSC

(Blog) http://www.teamswolepatrol.com/

(Facebook) http://www.facebook.com/GoEliteSC

(Twitter) http://www.Twitter.com/GoEliteSC

No comments:

Post a Comment